Peeled Earth and SKY

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Listening


My lesson in the present moment is to listen... taught to me most recently through my spine.

Last week in my yoga practice, while enjoying the new space in my body that I have so diligently worked on for the past 10 years, I ignored the whispers and indicators that I was moving too deep and rotated my sacrum, impinging my sciatic nerve. For those of you who are new to the body talk just know that it HURT. My body had given me all the signals to not go into another extension (back bend) but instead I pushed up and felt the wrath. Where I thought I had become such an astute listener to my body it appears that my ego had surpassed my listening skills this time..... How does this happen to me? I practice yoga, (in fact I teach this stuff everyday!) I meditate, I eat mindfully.... then I remember... I am human.

My experience with my back bends unfolds a deeper purpose for listening. So often we have signals in our daily lives that although can be seemingly small and easy to overlook, end up being BIG red flags later. Our ability to be sensitive and listen is where our life practice sits.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just started reading your blog and thought I'd start at the beginning. I was just talking to Danny Mariner and your brother came up in conversation. Listening is important. So much is learned when you listen. I'm trying to embark on a new idea and find that most of my learning is from listening. In the past I too have hurt myself in a Bikram yoga class in North Laguna and it took quite a while to recover. Even more recently something happened and I really should be patient now and listen more... I'm happy to hear you're pregnant and looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Ryan! It's Sarah. I am writing from another computer so my name will not appear I believe. I am happy that you are reading the blog, I hope to start back on it soon! Pregnancy really shifted my focus. Hope your body is healing and thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete